NEW YORK - Several well-established venture firms made fund-raising look easy in the first quarter, holding first and final closes for their funds. These large closes helped push U.S. venture capital fund-raising to $7 billion across 47 funds in the first quarter, a 5% increase in capital raised and a 34% increase in fund closings from the same period last year, according to Dow Jones LP Source.
NEW YORK, NY - Apple is on the verge of doing what few others have: changing the English language. When you have a boo-boo, you reach for a Band-Aid not a bandage. When you need to blow your nose, you ask for Kleenex not tissue. If you decide to look up something online, you Google instead of search for it. And if you want to buy a tablet computer, there's a good chance there's only one name you'll remember.
ORLANDO - One-fifth of American adults report that they have read an e-book in the past year, and this number increased following a gift-giving season that saw a spike in the ownership of both tablet computers and e-book reading devices such as the original Kindles and Nooks.1 In mid-December 2011, 17% of American adults had reported they read an e-book in the previous year; by February, 2012, the share increased to 21%.
The rise of e-books in American culture is part of a larger story about a shift from printed to digital material. Using a broader definition of e-content in a survey ending in December 2011, some 43% of Americans age 16 and older say they have either read an e-book in the past year or have read other long-form content such as magazines, journals, and news articles in digital format on an e-book reader, tablet computer, regular computer, or cell phone.
KANSAS CITY, MO – Entrepreneurship is alive and well in the wake of the Great Recession, although the rate of new business creation dipped during 2011 and startup founders remained more likely to fly solo than employ others. That's the big take away from the "Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity," a leading indicator of new business creation in the United States published annually and released today by the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation.
The Index shows that 0.32 percent of American adults created a business per month in 2011 – a 5.9 percent drop from 2010, but still among the highest levels of entrepreneurship over the past 16 years. The quarterly employer firm rate also remained essentially flat from 2010 to 2011 at 0.11 percent.
"The Great Recession has pushed many individuals into business ownership due to high unemployment rates," said Robert Litan, vice president of research and policy at the Kauffman Foundation. "However, economic uncertainty likely has made them more cautious, and they prefer to start sole proprietorships rather than more costly employer firms. This 'jobless entrepreneurship' trend negatively effects job creation and the larger economic recovery."
Entrepreneurship growth was highest among 45- to 54-year-olds, rising from 0.35 percent in 2010 to 0.37 percent in 2011. The youngest group (aged 20 to 34) also showed a slight increase. In contrast, the 35- to 44-year-old and 55- to 64-year-old groups experienced declines in entrepreneurial activity rates from 2010 to 2011.
ORLANDO - It’s been over a week since the new iPad launched and guess what? The new device accounts for 1 in 15 Apple tablets accessing the Internet according to Macworld.
The data comes in from Chitika, a mobile ad network, which regularly retrieves data from its ad-serving network for various device and browser usage patterns. According to the numbers, over a 24-hour period, the new iPad generated 6.6% of all iPad traffic that went through the company’s systems. The first generation iPad as well as the iPad 2 were responsible for the remaining 93.4%.